Thursday, 15 March 2018

India says it's Iran's prerogative to choose partner for Chabahar Port

Original Source:Click Here
By: Deccanhearld


After Tehran invited China and Pakistan to participate in the Chabahar Port project, India on Thursday said it was the prerogative of Iran to choose its partners for development of infrastructure.
"It is the prerogative of the Government of the Islamic Republic of Iran to choose its partners for the development of infrastructure facilities there," Raveesh Kumar, official spokesperson of the Ministry of External Affairs, said.
He, however, noted that India was supporting the development of Chabahar Port as a robust and alternate access route to and for Afghanistan and Central Asia.
The Chabahar Port will give India a sea-land access to Afghanistan and Central Asia, bypassing Pakistan, which has been playing spoilsport to initiatives for connectivity between South Asia and Central Asia.
The port's strategic importance for India grew further after Pakistan handed over the control of its Gwadar Port to China.
But, during a recent visit to Islamabad, Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif said that Tehran had invited Pakistan and China to participate in the Chabahar Port project.
The Port and Maritime Organisation of Iran recently leased out to India Ports Global Limited a part of the Phase 1 of the Chabahar Port (a.k.a. Shahid Behesti Port) of the Islamic Republic for 18 months. The contract was signed during Iranian President Hassan Rouhani's visit to India on February 17.
Kumar on Thursday said that significant progress had been made in operationalising the port. "Shipment of wheat assistance to Afghanistan through Chabahar is being successfully carried out since October 2018. Four such shipments have been successfully delivered. Next shipment is scheduled to leave later this month," he said.
India's assistance for building Chabahar-Zahedan Railway to realise the full potential of the port to connect to Afghanistan and Central Asia was also discussed during the meeting between Rouhani and Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
"We continue to work with Iran on the full and effective operationalisation of the Chabahar Port," said the MEA spokesperson.

No comments:

Post a Comment